As we prepare to come together tonight for our conversation on how our Church can continue to move toward our vision and mission, I thought I would share the notes from Hughes’ message. This message was geared more for Pastors, but much of what is said applies to the church as a whole. I took the notes in outline form, so you may have to fill in some gaps.
How do you evaluate success from a biblical point of view?
- There is no calling to success, but a call to faithfulness. In 1 Cor 4:2 we are taught that stewards are to be faithful.
- How does that work? Look to Moses. Numbers 20, Moses is told to speak to the rock, but Moses got angry and struck the rock. He failed, he disregarded Gods command. He failed to execute God’s word, so he could not enter the promised land.
- You can be hugely successful in ministry, and be an abysmal failure. You can give the people exactly what they need, and be a failure. It is possible to be a great success as a pastor and be a failure in God’s eyes because you are not faithful to God’s word.
- Success is found in knowing God’s Word and doing God’s Word.
- We cannot be influenced by that which we do not know.
- Success is faithfulness which manifests itself in hard working obedience to God. There is no success apart from faithfulness.
- There can be no success apart from serving with a foot-washing heart
- If this is true of the greater (Christ), how much more for the lesser (his disciples).
- There is no success apart from loving God.
- We must love the Lord with all our heart. This is from Christ, nothing is of greater importance. This must be the north-star, the point of reproach and correction.
- It is possible to pastor a large church and not love God.
- It is possible to preach Christ exalting sermons and not love God.
- Love God above all things regardless of what is to come. “Do you love me?”
- Hebrew 11:6 clearly teaches us that without faith you cannot please God.
- Believe that God exists.
- Believe that God rewards his people because he is equitable to his people. There is no success apart from the smile of God
- You cannot be successful without dependent prayer
- You can do more than pray after you pray, but you cannot do more than pray if you haven’t prayed.
- Jesus could not carry on his ministry apart from dependent prayer.
- No unholy life can be considered a success
- God calls his people to be holy.
- Sexual purity is essential – When lust takes control, God loses all reality, satan does not fill us with hatefulness of god but forgetfulness. When a man falls into sexual sin, he doesn’t fall very far, because that’s where he’s been in his soul.
- Attitude that cannot be successful
- Negativism – Having a positive attitude. Attitude is more important that circumstances. We have choices regarding our attitude.
- Jealousy – Strive to elevate others.
A Successful Church is one that is committed:
- To raise spiritual champions
- To be a people who love the Lord and loves and welcomes one another
- To be a people who are faithful to the Word of God
- To be a people of wisdom – applying the knowledge of Scripture to all of life.
- To be a people who are immersed in the community, active in transforming the community, and speaking the Gospel to the community.
I am blessed to be called to serve a congregation that is committed to God’s Word, and to proclaiming the Gospel of salvation in Jesus Christ. Because of this commitment, I look forward to where these conversations will lead, and pray that God will give His Church success!
Grace and Peace!